Skip to main content

#Ratan Tata- From Childhood to kingmaker, interesting facts and advice:

 -

*Ratan Tata ...*

*In His Own Words !*


“I had a happy childhood, but as my brother & I got older, we faced ragging because of our parent’s divorce, which in those days wasn’t as common. My grandmom brought us up. 


"Soon after, when my mother remarried, the boys at school started saying all kinds of things about us. But our grandmother taught us to retain dignity at all costs, a value that’s always stayed with me. It involved walking away from these situations instead of fighting back.


"And if it weren’t for grandmom, I wouldn’t be half the person I am today. 


"My father and I couldn’t agree on the same thing – I wanted to go to college in the US, he insisted on UK. I wanted to be an architect, he insisted on me becoming an engineer. If it weren’t for my grandmother, I wouldn’t have ended up at Cornell University in the US. It was because of her that even though I enrolled for mechanical engineering, I switched majors & graduated with a degree in architecture. My father was upset, but I was finally my own, independent person in college & it was my grandmother who taught me that courage to speak up can also be soft.


"After college, I landed a job at an architecture firm in LA, where I worked for 2 years. It was a great time – the weather was beautiful & I loved my job. It was in LA that I fell in love & almost got married. But at the same time I’d made the decision to move back, at least temporarily, since grandmom wasn’t keeping too well. So I came back to visit her & thought that the person I wanted to marry would come to India with me, but because of the 1962 Indo-China war her parent’s weren’t okay with her making the move anymore & the relationship fell apart.


"After the move, I did spend some time with my grandmom. I’d run with my dog, catch up with her & we’d have long chats. I’m glad I got that time with her before she passed, because right after I moved to Jamshedpur for an internship at what’s known as Tata Motors now. 

It was a waste of time – I was moved from one department to another & since I was a family member, no one told me what to do – I spent 6 months trying to be ‘useful’. 


"It was only after I moved to Tata Steel that I got specific work & my job got interesting. I started from the floor & understood the plight of those working there. So years later, when we downsized Tata Steel from 78,000 to 40,000, we ensured to pay them their present day wages until retirement–it’s been in our DNA to serve those who serve us. 


"Then, in 1991, JRD stepped down as the Chairman of Tata Industries and then from Tata Sons, there was vicious criticism. 

There were other aspirants, who were vocal of him having made the wrong decision. I had been through this before, so I did what I knew best–maintained silence & focused on proving myself. 

The criticism was personal–JRD got clubbed with nepotism & I, as the wrong choice. I was under scrutiny, but the time I spent on the floor served as a big plus – I hadn’t gotten there from nowhere!


"All in all, it was a big move. I remember after I was appointed Chairman, I walked with JRD to his office, where he told his secretary that he had to move out. I said, ‘No, J, don’t move out, this is your office for as long as you want.’ He said, ‘Where will you sit?’ I said, ‘Where I’m sitting today–I have an office down the hall & that’s fine.’


"I was lucky to have him there. He was my greatest mentor & the years that he was alive, I used to go into his office & say, ‘J, I wish this had happened 10 years ago, we have such a great relationship.’ He was like a father & a brother to me & not enough’s been said about that.


"Ever since, my life has been for & about growing the company. When I was appointed Chairman, it was believed my surname got me the position, but my focus was on creating something bigger than us all & on giving back, which has been in the TATA DNA since the start. 

With Jamshedpur for instance, while our workers were thriving, the surrounding villages were suffering. It became our goal to uplift their quality of life as well … things like these came naturally to us. 


"Even with the Nano – I remember seeing a family of 4 on a bike in the heavy Bombay rain—I wanted to do more for these families who were risking their lives for lack of an alternative. By the time we launched the Nano, our costs were higher, but I’d made a promise & we delivered. Looking back, I’m proud of the car & the decision to go ahead with it. 


"That’s what my life has been about—work became a lifestyle. I was always at Bombay House or travelling, that’s why even though I came close to marriage with 2-3 different partners, I couldn’t go through with it because they’d have to adjust to my lifestyle & that didn’t sit right with me. 


"Now that I’m retired, that lifestyle has changed again. People ask if I’m truly ‘retired’ & to that I say—there’s no doubt about it. I’m enjoying the separation from the company—I don’t look at newspapers & worry about the bad stuff anymore.


"But let me tell you, retirement isn't about playing golf, or reading on a beach, whilst sipping on a cocktail. In fact, never before has the urge to do more, been greater. From affordable cancer treatment, to making the lives in rural India easier—I’m looking forward to making it happen at the Tata Trust. I’m trying to enjoy myself to be honest— I’m spending time with friends —old & new, across age groups, who I’m constantly learning from. 


"At 82, I’m still learning, so when you ask me to give advice, I feel like the ‘right advice’ changes over a period of time—but the one thing that remains unchanged is the desire to do the right thing. 


"So I’ll say this —leave the advice & do the right thing, even if it isn’t the easiest thing to do. When you look back at your life, that’s what’s going to matter the most. Doing the right thing.” 

*# RatanTata*

Source: received through WhatsApp message 

Popular posts from this blog

A Leader’s Legacy: Turning Personal Crisis Into Long-Term National Progress:

 - Choosing Trust Over Fear: How a 1989 Health Crisis Shaped Malaysia’s Medical Destiny One night in 1989, a sudden and alarming chest discomfort transformed what seemed like a routine evening into a defining moment of national leadership. The then 64-year-old Prime Minister of Malaysia, Dr Mahathir Mohamad, returned home from a dinner feeling a persistent tightness in his chest. Neither lying down nor walking around eased the pressure. Acting swiftly, he contacted his doctor and was rushed to Kuala Lumpur General Hospital (HKL), where renowned cardiologist Tan Sri Dr Robaayah Zambahari and her team confirmed the diagnosis: a heart attack. Though it was not a massive heart attack, the situation was critical. At the time, open-heart surgery was the primary line of treatment, bringing the Prime Minister to a monumental crossroads. Overcoming Fear in the Heat of Crisis Faced with a life-threatening medical emergency, panic is a natural human response. Yet, responding to a crisis requi...

What If Mom Took a Day Off?

 - *What If Mom Took a Day Off?* One day, the Principal suddenly called a mother to the school and said, “Your son has written an essay on the topic, ‘What if my mother took a day off for one day?’ When we read it, the entire staff room fell silent. At first, everyone laughed… and then, everyone cried.” The mother nervously sat down on the chair. She thought perhaps her son had done something serious. The Principal smiled, handed the notebook to her, and said, “Don’t read this after you go home… read it here.” On the first page, it was written: “What If My Mom Took a Day Off…?” “Earlier, I used to think that my mother was the most short-tempered woman in the world. She wakes me up at 5 in the morning and makes me study. If I don’t finish my lunch, she scolds me. If I spend too much time on my mobile phone, she takes it away. Even on holidays, she tells me, ‘Clean your room.’ Oh God! I used to think it would be nice if my mother went somewhere for a day. Then, last Monday, Mom fell ...

The Timeline Trap: Why Living in the Past and Future Robs Your Present:

 - How Guilt, Comparison, and Future Fear Steal Your Peace—and How to Take It Back It is easy to feel entirely exhausted by the end of the day, even if you haven't done much physical work. Much of that tiredness comes from the mental noise running continuously in the background. Three specific mindsets drain human energy faster than almost anything else: guilt about the past, comparison in the present, and fear of the future. When these three habits take over, they act like open background apps on a smartphone, quietly draining your battery until you feel empty. Understanding how this happens—and learning how to stop it—is one of the most effective ways to protect your mental health and overall well-being. How These Three Mindsets Hurt Your Well-Being Each of these habits pulls your mind away from the present moment, but they do it in different ways.  * Guilt keeps you anchored in the past. Guilt happens when you replay old mistakes, missed opportunities, or things you wish yo...

Skills you need (Assessments and guides)

Do you want to know your potentials? Do you want to know your interpersonal skills, problem solving skills, numeracy skills? Do you want to understand your emotions? Click on the below link to take the assessment. http:// www.skillsyouneed.com Reference : This website belongs to Skills You Need Ltd, registered in England and Wales with company number 9654663. Registered office address: Ty Pedr, North Road, Lampeter, SA48 7JA. UK. We 'life skills blog' have provided this website link for our blog readers to facilitate them to utilize skills you need resources. We 'life skills blog' do not own any content of www.skillsyouneed.com. We pray to Almighty that the team of skillsyouneed excel.

Survival by Redefinition: How Legacy Tech Brands Reclaim Value (Black berry):

 - The Perils and Truths of Corporate Turnarounds NYU Stern finance professor and valuation authority Aswath Damodaran argues that businesses follow a natural lifecycle, and their market valuations must align with their current stage—from early-stage startups to mature, declining enterprises. Speaking at the Nordic Business Forum, Damodaran highlighted how often corporate value is destroyed when firms attempt to defy their age. He cautioned against mature companies trying to artificially regain their youth, a cycle fueled by an industry of consultants and investment bankers offering the strategic equivalent of cosmetic surgery. When older firms fall for the promise of quick rejuvenation, the results are frequently destructive. Sustaining a Comeback Through Strategic Transformation While superficial fixes rarely succeed, fundamentally altering the underlying business model can yield a lasting recovery.  * The Decline: At its zenith, BlackBerry dominated the mobile market with i...

The Heart of Learning: Why Humour, Humility, and Honesty Matter 📖:

 - The "Three H's" —Humour, Humble, and Honest—are foundational traits for building strong character, healthy relationships, and positive learning environments. Introduction 🌱 In a world that often measures success by individual achievements and high performance, true strength comes from within. The core qualities of Humour, Humility, and Honesty form the backbone of emotional intelligence and social balance. When practiced together, they build resilience, open doors to learning, and create deep trust in human relationships. Whether in a classroom or at home, nurturing these three values helps shape grounded, confident, and compassionate individuals. 1. Humour 😃 Meaning: The ability to see the fun side of life, laugh at mistakes, and bring joy to others without being mean. Why it's important: It lowers stress, breaks the ice, and helps people feel relaxed around you. Daily life practice: Smile more, share lighthearted jokes, and learn to laugh at your own si...

Effective team management is neither about passive detachment nor rigid control. It is an active, supportive practice of process design and human care:

- The Anchor of Execution:  Balancing Process and the Human Face in Workflow Management In any organization, a strategic plan is only as good as its execution. While leadership sets the vision, it is the team manager who serves as the anchor of day-to-day operations.  Historically, management frameworks treated this role as purely mechanical—a numbers game of tracking timelines and treating human beings as mere "resources" to be scheduled. However, modern operational research has brought a critical truth to light: you cannot successfully manage the process if you neglect the people. Exceptional workflow management requires balancing the technical mechanics of a project with the neuro-emotional safety of the team executing it. When a manager fails to oversee the flow of work, deadlines slip and quality degrades. But when a manager relies solely on rigid micromanagement, burn-out spikes and team members hide critical mistakes.  True oper...

Learn to Respond, Not React:

“You have the ability to choose your reactions.”  ―  Steve Maraboli Click to read the article from source: If unable to open, copy the below link to browser: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/learn-respond-react-dr-marshall-goldsmith

The spark of understanding:

 - "Misunderstood" Words unsaid and Words unspoken Lead to paths,  Where hearts are broken.  A glance misread,  A tone misheard,  And love is lost,  in a sea of word.  In the silence,  we search for clues,  To unravel the tangled threads  of our views.  But like ships passing,  in the dark of night,  We miss the signals,  that could ignite.  The spark of understanding,  that we need,  To bridge the gap,  and plant a seed,  Of empathy and kindness,  that can grow,  And help us see,  through the eyes of another's soul.  But still we try,  to find our way,  Through the maze of misunderstandings each day.  And hope that someday,  we'll find the key,  To unlock the hearts,  and set love free.  Source: WhatsApp message 

The concept of unique adaptability in elephants:

 - Baby elephants can walk very shortly after birth. They are typically able to stand within 20 minutes and walk within an hour of being born. This is a survival mechanism, as it allows them to keep up with the herd, which is crucial for finding food and water and staying safe from predators.  Here's a more detailed look: Standing: A newborn elephant calf can usually stand on its own within 20 minutes after birth.  Walking: Within an hour, the calf will be able to walk, though it may be wobbly at first.  Keeping Pace: After just a couple of days, the calf will be strong enough to keep up with the herd as they move and migrate.  Survival Advantage: This ability to quickly walk is a crucial adaptation for survival in the wild.  Tending to the Calf: The mother and other females in the herd will help the calf stand and nurse, guiding it and providing support until it can walk independently.  Source: Gemini AI search